Pin me!

Sunday 30 September 2012

DIY : Placemat Shopping Bag Part 2 (TUTORIAL)

I just finished sewing my first placemat shopping bag... (gonna make more bags..). In my part 1 post, I thought I was gonna make the handle using the polka dot ribbon. But the ribbon width was a bit smaller, it didn't nicely fit with the large placemat. So, I made the handle using the bag strap... I found it at a local craft store, RM6 for 3 metres...

TADAA...here is the finished product.. I just love how it turned out so adorable with the fabric flower.



This is the handle strap..

First, on the right side of the placemat, measure 3 inch from the side and pin it. I was quite easy because the placemat had vertical stripes. 




(Suppose to do like this) At the end of the strap, tuck the end of the strap under the other end and fold the upper strap about and inch. I made a mistake here (below picture).. 

Make sure to make a loop at the end of the placemat and the length should be equal for both sides.

 Sew 1/4" seam along the strap on both side of the strap.


Once finished, fold the placemat in half with the wrong side facing out. 
Stitch on both sides for 1/2 inch seam. Do not stitch on the opening of the bag.


With the wrong side is still facing out, pin the bottom corner of the bag such below picture. Mark about 3 inch from the end of the corner and stitch the dotted line. Repeat this step with the other corner.

Turned the right side out and tadaa... You got it... Very simple and easy project...



Once again, my placemat handbag sitting on upholstered bench...

Have a nice day!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment